Monday 8 June 2009

Tag!


Mrs Bagwash from The Life Laundry has tagged me thus:

What is your current obsession?


Getting this old house painted throughout/ attic cleared of junk, so I can have it valued and put on the market, and move to somewhere warmer. Note: obsession doesn't necessarily mean decisive action

What is your weirdest obsession?

Er, none. In my book, weird = not good. Clean towels in bathroom, though = good

What are you wearing today?

Black linen trousers. Black/grey striped cotton top. Socks (well, it's June in Britain!). Possibly scarf, gloves and duvet coat if I dare go out

What's for dinner?

Some veggie stirfry/rice noodles/black bean sauce concoction that never looks glossy and well-separated like it does in food magazines. Food diary fortnight prohibits silliness and loss of self-control in the dinner department

What would you eat for your last meal?

A mound of fluffy mashed potato and extra butter - what else comes with it doesn't matter, and neither does a food diary

What's the last thing you bought?

Cat food for Millie who tells me she is starving to death because the kitten food is poison

What are you listening to right now?

Radio 4. Aren't you?

What do you think of the person who tagged you?

Interesting person! Would like to know more about her course. Could post more often on her blog (hint)

If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished, anywhere in the world, where would you like it to be?

Australia. Blue Mountains current favourite, but need to explore more of that amazing country before making final choice

If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?

Where my son is, if I could lure him away from work for an hour to talk and drink coffee. I haven't seen him since March (sniff...)

Which language do you want to learn?

Ooh, learn? From scratch? All that grammar and those difficult tenses? None. But I wish I could speak Japanese already. Sounds totally different according to the speaker being a man or a woman. Klingon would be good too, for those bad-tempered moments

What's your favourite quote (for now)?

Quoting my friend Annie: Get a grip

What is your favourite colour?

Today? Dark purplish grey

What is your favourite piece of clothing in your own wardrobe?

Erm.... it's all awful. I am a slob who lives in loose pants and tops, and lumpy fleeces. I have a loving memory, though, of a tiny chocolate-brown Biba dress with lots of little buttons. Worn till it fell to bits. ....from the first hand-drawn catalogue. Yes, I'm that old - Biba's hand-drawn catalogue

What is your dream job?

Only nightmare jobs come to mind now I've retired. Dream week = one where there is nothing scheduled, nothing at all

Describe your personal style

Plain. Simple. No frills or busy patterns. Nothing to weep over if a cat jumps on me, crampons fully engaged, or I spill my lunch down my front. Both frequent events

What is your favourite tree?

Beech, the bigger the better

What are you going to do after this?

Go to the post office, bracing myself for shock and outrage at how much it costs to send a small package

What is your favourite fruit?

Cherries. Especially those huge black American ones that you need to remortgage your house to afford

What inspires you?

Sunny days. Sometimes pictures in magazines of beautiful homes. (sometimes these induce despair instead...)

Your favourite books?

Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales, especially The Snow Queen

What are you currently reading?

Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town: Stephen Leacock (a present from Shelagh in Toronto)

Go to your bookshelf, take down the first book with a red spine you see, turn to page 26 and type out the first line (sentence)

So familiar is the Sweet Mignonette of our gardens, and so like and yet unlike are the wild species, that whilst no one would take them for the garden plant, one need not be a botanist to see their natural affinities at a glance.
(Wayside and Woodland Blossoms; A Pocket Guide to British Wild Flowers by Edward Step, F.L.S. p. 1905)

What delighted you the most today?

A lengthy, badly-written, heavily sarcastic rant by one of the locals, mocked-up as a Lib Dem newsletter, and hand-delivered, presumably to every house round here, complaining bitterly about the residents' parking scheme in the neighbouring area that has pushed all the surplus cars into our area instead. It's anonymous, as his earlier enraged missives have been, but he is so often seen waving his arms and shouting at some poor captive neighbour, that everyone knows who he is and what his current obsession is. No neighbourhood should be without one.

By what criteria do you judge a person?

Seriously? How nice they are to their children. Not (so) seriously? State of their armpits, teeth, bathroom towels

My added question: Were you ever in love with a film star? Who? How old were you?

Well, you weren't expecting something weighty, were you? Aaaahhhh.....Dirk Bogarde......me at 11.....doomed love was ever my forte.....


The rules:
  • Respond and rework: answer the questions on your blog, replace one question you dislike with a question of your own, add one more question of your own. (How does that work then? Wouldn't it be an ever-expanding list of questions? Who would want to be Taggee Number 207? How would you know which question I've deleted if I've answered it? My tiny brain hurts now.) I'll just mark the question I've added, and you can mess up the process at will. Don't even try to explain this to me; I'm too dim.
  • Tag eight other people.

So, that means you, dear peeps! : Lauren (My Aunt June), Mountainear, Susan (29 Black Street), Marie (Don Estorbo's servant), Isabelle (In This Life), PG (Middle of Nowhere), Judy (Every Day is a Gift), Kristina (Jolly Hockey Sticks). Sorry if you are all tagged out and hate the thought of another one. Say something under your breath in Klingon, and ignore me.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Far too busy being "tagged" hurrumph ... to be leaving comments on "tagger's" blogs. Wink.

Linda said...

I have just, somehow, I can't quite rememer the sequence of blog reading today, discovered you.
I have been reading it from the beginning, and have laughed out loud several times - you are just what I needed today. I'm up to the middle of May 2008 so far, will finish the rest tomorrow. Your photos are getting really good at this stage!
Any tips on stopping Rupert (16) (cat) peeing/marking every night in the conservatory - I'm getting a bit fed up with mopping up every morning. He is an ex-farm cat who likes outside access at all times.

Looking forward to the rest of my reading!

Susan said...

Oops ! just realized I forgot to mention anywhere on my post who (on earth) tagged me anyway ... have rectified that situation.

rachel said...

Thank you, Linda - so nice to have another reader. But sorry, no tips re cat spraying except to give up in despair; my preferred curtains for years were plain calico, as they went in the wash very easily, and needed to, very frequently! At least 4 of my boys were responsible, yet once my dear little tabby Patrick died, no one ever sprayed again. Cats are unfathomable creatures. (16 is also a good age, maybe a bit old for relearning?)White vinegar seemed to be a deterrent for a while, but makes your house smell a bit weird!

Now that I have two girls instead of toms, all things related to bodily functions have become perfectly civilised. Well, apart from the throwing up....

Susan, you can relax, I won't tag you again, I promise. At least one other person has declined, apparently because of having had hundreds of such impositions!

Susan said...

Hey ! I wouldn't have gone along if I didn't want to ... felt quite honoured to be tagged by vous. ;-)

When the boys (Gussie & Oliver) first arrived here at Black Street. Nessie insisted on spraying on my oven door ... actually now that I think of it ... on any old door. When our Queen LuLu left this earth (at nearly 18) he suddenly stopped - those female pheromones perhaps ???. Thank goodness.

ah yes the regurge ... I know it well.

rogern said...

Dirk Bogarde? me too!

Gretel said...

See, you are far more interesting than me! :)

mountainear said...

Yeah....thanks.

I've done this one once - but think as it has morphed into something different I shall take up the challenge once again.

I remember that that Biba catalogue too - I think it was a 'must have' accessory at school - if one couldn't have the clothes at least we could flaunt the pictures. Good sketchy leggy drawings if I remember rightly?

Veronica said...

I love that old book, the illustrations are fascinating.

Von said...

Nice! Biba!!!I too have several pieces of Biba.One a wraparound brown lurex threaded top is still worn by the daughter.Fun times!

Related Posts with Thumbnails