Friday 10 September 2010

Recycling

The new Ikea catalogue arrived the other day.

So what to do with the old one? Recycle it, of course. Into the paper bin it went, but only after I had torn out some of the more colourful pages to make tiny bunting, with scissors,  knitting wool, drinking straws and glue. Blue Peter, eat your heart out. Some of us have never really left nursery.


L's Gentleman Friend celebrates 40 years in Britain, arriving as a young man with only £20 in his pocket, no experience of using a public telephone - especially one that required 4 pennies, and to press Button A - to find that his cousin had failed to meet him at Heathrow.

He went on to make a good life for himself, and today a celebratory Victoria sponge cake was required. Not the prettiest cake, I admit: finesse isn't my strength. But delicious, spread with my homemade red gooseberry jam and a thick layer of whipped double cream.


L added the cute faded Union flags.


And then we had nursery tea.

Here's to another happy and successful 40 years in Britain, Phil!

10 comments:

jabblog said...

Looks delicious! Happy Anniversary Phil - more power to your elbow . . .:-)

Lynda (Granny K) said...

The cake looks wonderful! Congratulations to Phil!

Fran Hill said...

Now I really really fancy a piece of cake. What are you doing to me?

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! Looks cheery, creative and fun! Bet Phil loved it!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

A Victoria Sponge with homemade Gooseberry Jam .
What could be more fitting as a celebration of 40 years in England ? And it looks delicious !
Sonata .

the veg artist said...

As I opened this, and scrolled down slowly, I thought "Tiny bunting? Has she finally lost it?" Then I saw the cake and it all made sense. What a lovely cake for a celebration! Well done you - and Phil!

lovethosecupcakes said...

I really like the look of that cake, perfectly fitting for a celebratory tea. Hope Phil didn't have to grapple with Button B when making that first call.

Anonymous said...

I love your bunting!! And that cake looks good to me ........ but the too tight trousers mean that cake is off the menu (except for Friday afternoons, of course!!)

Marie said...

Those are gorgeous little flags!

Pam said...

Goodness, that's very original and jolly. Must nick the idea sometime.

Related Posts with Thumbnails