Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Repetitive Stress


Almost a year ago, I was starting on the long (and, as I now know, endless) road to getting my house ready for sale. After the failed-sale disaster that followed in the summer, and a break over Christmas and New Year (albeit a break of sorts, during which a shower room was created) it's time to start doing it all again.

By and large, I have stayed optimistic, cultivating patience that I never knew I possessed, but the last few days have been difficult. I was planting up pots in the back yard the other day: violas, and other little  bedding plants to act as gap-fillers and soil-concealers from wicked cats Hamish, and it hit me hard that almost one year on, I was doing this again, getting things ready for another round of viewings and hoped-for buyers.

The thought was deeply depressing. I don't want to be doing this again; I don't want a repeat of the parade of time-wasters gawping politely at my home, devoid of any intent to buy, just being curious because the pictures in the brochure looked nice. And I don't want to stay here while it happens, as it will.

The very keen couple who viewed twice, and then sent his parents round to view too, have taken a loss on their own newly-sold property, and can no longer afford a house in this street.

No one else is looking just now; the market, the economic outlook and therefore the prospect of a quick sale are all gloomy. I could be planting the yard pots in another year's time, another year older. I can't bear the thought.

So I am seriously considering trying to find a house to rent for the time being in West Somerset, the area where I want to settle, and just moving, cats, dogs and all. I don't want to rent out this house, preferring to leave it part-furnished and on the market, available for me to use when I returned to visit/do maintenance. I know that friends and neighbours would keep an eye on it in my absence. Surely it must sell some day! If you've done this, I would love to hear your views.

Of course, rental properties that will accept cats and dogs might not be easy to find, or be affordable. I would have to live very frugally indeed, but I would have done something, made a move in every sense of the term.

Perhaps this is a crazy idea. I shall put it away for now, and give the Budget, Easter and the early hopeful days of Spring a chance to come and go; if there is still nothing happening on the sale front, I shall have another think about it. Perhaps I should remain patient and hopeful, and suppress the urge to act....

But oh, some days just keeping a good attitude is hard!

17 comments:

the veg artist said...

What an exciting plan! I have sold an empty house before, but it did go to a couple who had viewed it while we were still living there. (They took about six months or more to decide to buy it!)
In the meantime, would it be easier on you if you didn't meet viewers yourself, but had the estate agent show them around?

rachel said...

The possibility of unwanted gifts from the cats is a real one - but I am considering this, just going out with the dogs ten minutes before a viewing. We'll see......

Barbee' said...

I once found myself in the predicament of having to keep up two houses, but the most difficult was having to maintain two gardens and two lawns. That might not be the case for you. Seems easier to me to stay put.

Susan said...

I believe you will know the answer to this weighty question ... perhaps you already know. There are no mistakes in life and your ultimate happiness is paramount - I bet we know what the Team votes for ;-) xo as always les Gang

frayedattheedge said...

Whatever you decide, you know that your many friends will be there to help and support you!

Dan said...

I think this could be a great compromise for now. And if you rent a house you would be able to look for your ideal home with less pressure to actually buy one in a rush if yours sells in the meantime. Plus of course, it would get you to where you really want to be! I would seriously weigh up the finances though, as I well know the pressures of two sets of bills. Anyway, here's hoping today's viewing will resolve the dilemma!
Dan
-x-

rachel said...

Oh, Dan, I wish there was a "today's viewing!"

Bee said...

What a dilemma . . . and one that I have utmost sympathy and empathy FOR, and identification WITH. We wait and wait for husband to get a job, and meanwhile the house goes on the market (officially!) on Saturday. (You are so right about the good attitude bit being the hard part, and I've entirely failed at maintaining one this week.)

Could you afford to lower your price a bit? My husband is a big believer that the house will always sell at the right price. Why are you so against the rent/rent scenario? (If you rented for a year or two at least you wouldn't be burning any bridges.) We have decided to rent instead of buy in Oxford -- not my preferred plan -- but needs must.

Hopefully, the spring will yield something for both of us. Strength!

jabblog said...

I have no experience of this - we're just glad we didn't decide to move a couple of years ago. I feel you are ready to rent in Somerset and I'm sure you're counting the pennies. Good luck! I hope it works well for you:-)

Arthur Ransome said...

Is it perhaps the spring weather which is making you feel you have to move? I'm feeling like this at the moment and possibly going to spend a lot of money that I'll need in a few year's time because the urge to sort myself out is so strong.

Dartford Warbler said...

Just a thought Rachel. I know that many landlords around the Bristol Vet School campus, in the villages of Congresbury, Langford and surrounding areas, are often fine about animals coming to stay. The vet student houses usually have at least one dog and various other pets in residence. That may not be as far west as you want to go, but the Mendips are beautiful and the sea is not far away.

Dan said...

Oh heck, did I get it wrong? I thought you said that you were taking the dogs out whilst a viewing was happening on your comments. (I know the feeling, wishing, viewing, and ((dog)) walking well)
Dan
-x-

Anonymous said...

You never know how things will happen ...
Our appartment was on the market for months , many enthousiastics viewers ! Some of them coming back with children or relatives ... and then nothing happening - or much too low offers .
Then , on the darkest afternoon , ( tramps on the street with un-tied dogs ! ),a young couple came .
At 7pm the same day , they made the offer we were waiting for ...
I am crossing again my fingers for you !
Fanny

flwrjane said...

That is a very brave plan and if I were you i would act on it.

Why wait and wait to start the new life you so strongly desire. seize the day!

xo Jane

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

It must be very disheartening and to just upsticks and move now would be a very tempting idea .
But it might be a good idea to give it another three months . Spring wakens the house market up and it's definitely easier if you're on site . You'll probably fret if you're a plane ride away .
I'd definitely let the agent do the viewings , though . The house looks beautiful and WILL sell .

Isabelle said...

Ooh, well I'm a very cautious person and would stay put. But then I've had a pretty static life, so Adventure really isn't my middle name. You're made of stronger stuff.

Though I would worry about moving the cats twice. But then, I worry. Not a good idea.

lovethosecupcakes said...

I hope you know where I'm coming from when I say this but I'm all for throwing caution to the wind and following your dream. In the words of Mrs Doyle, go on, go on, go on, go on...........

Related Posts with Thumbnails