Saturday 4 February 2012

Painter in the house


No, it wasn't me. I loathe painting, and am very bad at it, mostly because I can't be bothered to do it properly. All that sanding, and priming, and filling in holes, all that brush cleaning, and all that actual painting too! Awful.

So a real painter did it for me, in eggshell. I chose the colour - not that this is the colour I thought it would be, you  know. I find that I've chosen a real old-lady pinky-cream. And I find that I really like it.


Next: the rest of the orange knotty pine is getting painted: two small chests of drawers and the bed headboard. The bedspread will move to the guest bedroom, which needs a bit of a splash of colour, to be replaced with something plainer for my bed; not sure what* yet. But Lottie needs it just now.

* lovely cashmere throw, delicious jewel-coloured velvet quilt, vintage patchwork, ruched silk? You must be kidding. Something that can get chucked in the washing machine every week - at least two cats will share it with me!


The light is gloomy in there today - it's snowing.

Well, of course it's snowing - on Tuesday my sister is coming to stay - first time she'll have seen the cottage. Hopefully, she'll have less trouble arriving than the last time she decided on a winter visit to me, but my fingers are crossed already.

13 comments:

dinahmow said...

Ah, yes...the washability factor. Right now, there is a very sheddy black cat curled up on the just-laundered white duvet cover.And I noticed, when I brought it off the line, there are a couple of pulled threads in the embroidered bit. sigh...

Anonymous said...

It does look good. I suspect that it your bedroom will look lovely when all the pine has been covered.

That is a gorgeous picture of Lottie, she is so pretty.

Fingers crossed for the sister visit.

love those cupcakes said...

You put us to shame. Painting (by him, never me) the stairs and landing here has been work in progress for so long the paint colour has probably been discontinued.

Arthur Ransome said...

What a huge improvement on the knotty pine and doesn't Lottie look utterly sweet.

Anonymous said...

I hope your sister arrives ok (and gets to leave ok!!). The bedroom is looking good ..... if only Brentford Nylons still existed, I am sure you would find somehing delightful and washable for your bed (are you shudderng too at the memory of nyon sheets!!??)

Noelle the dreamer said...

Painting is not my forte either but I like the colour you chose! And Lottie looks so happy with the result as well (VERY nice coverlet!)
Snow? How my Corgi would love it! Two little flakes and he looks happy!
Here is wishing a lovely stay to your sister!

Lyn said...

it looks lovely and not old lady-ish at all!!
The snow has arrived but I hear it will be more like ran through the night. Hope your sister arrives safely next Tuesday.
xxx

jabblog said...

I get bored painting, too, and end up sloshing it on far too thickly and regretting the dried rivulets thereafter.

As for bed coverings - practicality must win every time. - anything from one to four dogs and a determined cat so dictate.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Your paint choice is lovely and , when the knotty pine is done to match , it will all look marvellous !
I really like the soft green colour of the bed cover with it , too , but can quite see why you need something that will hop in and out of the washing machine frequently ( well , by itself , of course ) .

Lesley said...

LOVE IT! t looks like Elephant's breath from here. Can't wait to get down there . . .

Pam said...

Hope you're having a lovely time with your sister. No snow here. Just saying...

Marcheline said...

I have to admit to being disappointed, as there are two posts, one labeled "Joiner in the house", one labeled "Painter in the house", and neither post has a photo of said joiner or said painter. You do have some lovely handy men over in your country, was hoping for a keek. *wink*

Anonymous said...

following this blog. hi :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails