Tuesday 23 September 2008

Tap tap....

Hmmm, that tapping experience has created some difference of opinion. These range from relief that I wasn't turning into some dotty old lady about to start attending seances involving the cat world, to sterner exhortations to be more open-minded about what happened when the spirit leaves the body, to a bit of eye-rolling from people who put such phenomena down to manifestations of grief, not contact from beyond the grave.

I'm not so sure, and don't want to take a strong position on this; if there is somewhere that cat spirits go to next, I would hope they weren't interrupted in their journey by having to come back to sad owners.
And if there isn't, then a dangling zip pull-tab is as good an explanation as any.

But you might like this, a poem that Charlotte sent to comfort me - sorry, whoever wrote it, but it came unattributed. You can take, leave, or substitute the God references according to your own beliefs, but, as Harry always sensed when I was upset or unwell and would stay close to me, I liked the general concept of a considerate cat.
In particular, the term "the glorious cat" appealed; Harry was a glorious cat indeed.

Some of my more hard-boiled friends found it difficult to read this without filling up....

And God asked the feline spirit

Are you ready to come home?

Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul

And, as a cat, you know I am most able

To decide anything for myself.


Are you coming then? asked God.

Soon, replied the whiskered angel

But I must come slowly

For my human friends are troubled

For you see, they need me, quite certainly.


But don't they understand? asked God

That you'll never leave them?

That your souls are intertwined.
For all eternity?

That nothing is created or destroyed?

It just is....forever and ever and ever.


Eventually they will understand,

Replied the glorious cat

For I will whisper into their hearts

That I am always with them

I just am....forever and ever and ever.

1 comment:

Shelagh said...

Kudos to Charlotte for giving you the poem. It really struck a chord. What a lovely way of thinking about Harry. And, indeed, any of our beloved pets who have preceded us to who knows where. And by the way, I like to think the "tap tap" was Harry. Just keeping in touch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails