Sunday 29 January 2012

Running for the hills


I have reached an agreement with Tosca - a walk to suit her, not very far, and not very fast, before I go out with Flossie. She can then settle down on the windowsill or her bed, knowing that I'm going somewhere without her. She, ever the reluctant walker, seems happy with this arrangement.


Yesterday Flossie and I went out with Lizzie and her dogs to the highest point on Exmoor.


The view unfolded as we climbed.






A slow climb, stony but not strenuous, up Dunkery Hill, to this:



 The renowned Dunkery Beacon.

It was difficult to get a picture that didn't have anorak-clad walkers standing on the beacon itself or slowly eating sandwiches at its base, surrounded by our hopeful dogs.


Despite Lizzie's efforts ("Stay! Stay!") it wasn't easy to get a picture of the dogs all together either - too much to explore, too much racing around to be done.






There seemed to be no thorny gorse to halt a bounding dog in its tracks, so there was much joyously-free galloping, wheeling, tumbling, stopping to drink from hidden pools. Those three dogs must have run miles for about an hour, non-stop, ears, tongues and tails flying.

From the top, there is a breathtaking panoramic view, captured by Lizzie on her own blog.


Other than the sound of panting dogs, there were moments of utter silence.

Although I'm slowly getting a grasp of the geography of this area, I had only a limited idea of what we were looking at, or which county it was in, but it was all beautiful; there in the distance was Selworthy church, and Periwinkle Cottage.


On the way down, we startled a small herd of deer, too fast to take decent pictures of  - I have to admit that I'm finding hard to get used to the long lens.



And then home, via Wootton Courtenay. More wonderful views, hastily snatched from the car window.





Home again. Time for me to light the stove, make a cup of tea, read the paper, and for Flossie to have a long and well-earned sleep. Tosca was just glad that she didn't have to come with us.

26 comments:

Marcheline said...

Egads, that was lovely. Thank you! If I was going to come back as a dog, I would want to be one of yours. 8-)

judy in ky said...

What a delightful world I come to through your blog. I enjoy seeing your quietly beautiful surroundings (quiet except for the sound of panting dogs; I can't hear them but I can see their happy faces and their exuberance). I love to see them having such a good time, and I love seeing Tosca cosy in her bed.

The photos at the bottom of your post happened to lead me to the old photo of Tosca dashing around with her ears flying. That was delightful too.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Wow! I would have loved that walk. I adore being up high. I am amazed you got some photos of the deer. I always fail. Reflexes must be too slow or spend too much time looking before the idea occurs to me!

walter and me said...

Blissful - such fantastic views. And that Flossie, she's so beautiful.

jabblog said...

What an exhilarating climb. The views are spectacular. Dogs don't seem to have an off switch, do they? Rather like small children they just keep going and then fall deeply asleep when the opportunity arises.

Arthur Ransome said...

Such beauty! What a lovely place you've come to. And the photo of Tosca is priceless.

Danielle P. said...

Dogs, natural beauty, a cup of tea... This blog post is filled with some of my favourite things!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Oh , I can quite see why you moved !
And , looking at the dogs haring about , I've decided . I'm coming back as a dog in Somerset , somewhere .

Dan said...

Oh my goodness, what a great walk Rachel! It is difficult when you have two dogs with different 'exercise needs'. I absolutely love the photo of the three dogs galloping through what looks like long brown grass. You can see the joy in their faces. You have certainly moved to a beautiful part of Britain!
Dan
-x-

Noelle the dreamer said...

Morning Rachel,
Ex-RAF flyboy and I made a pot of tea, grabbed a cuppa and enjoyed your photos! Goodness, we so delight in discovering yet another of your strolls!
Hugs to Flossie!!
Blessings to all,

Susan said...

omgoodness - such dog joy & that first photo made me snort my cereal milk up my nose (mid afternoon snack).

Flossie is indeed gorgeous & I do so love the tiny dog
much love, xoxo les gang

lovethosecupcakes said...

Ooh, that's high. I almost had a nosebleed!

Eunice said...

What a great post! I laughed at Tosca's lovely foto and smiled at the 2nd and 5th last fotos of the doggies... you can see happiness on their faces :)

littlemancat said...

Wonderful! Thanks for all the fresh air over cyberspace. Hard to explain how beautiful this is to someone who has only visited in books- deeply appreciated.
Mary

the veg artist said...

Are you trying to take enough exercise for all of us?

Anonymous said...

Stunning views, and lovely to see the dogs running free!

colleen said...

Looks absolutely fabulous! I think I've got to go and have a cup of tea myself after just looking at all that canine energy.

Anonymous said...

Has Tosca fainted from sheer relief that she's not expected to walk?

Anonymous said...

I thought I had commented on this post...

zephyr said...

i love your county, and it's surrounding ones, too.

MLou said...

What a walk!! Such glorious scenery and happy dogs. A definition of joy.

Ginnie said...

I can never get enough of your gorgeous countryside. What a beautiful, beautiful place.

Lesley said...

I love Tosca in an Austenesque swoon at the thought of having to climb Dunkery Hill. And I love the big dogs pelting around...such pure doggie joy.

Is Dunkery snowbound now....thought I spied a pic on the Mail Online in their "Icy weather grips nation" story?!

Lesley xx

Suse said...

Such glorious views!

Gwen Buchanan said...

So very beautiful.. and so charming.. like pictures from a story book.. and that you get to share it with your friend Lizzie and man's best friends are even better..

Lesley said...

Wonderful account. Lovely picture of flossie but the best of Tosca. How I miss them . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails