Sunday 22 January 2012

Sunday sweep-up


It's been an odds-and-ends sort of day, the kind I like best, with nothing planned, just doing what I feel like at any one time.

I phoned friends, and had a good catch-up. They spoke of trips to London, to Paris, to Scotland, to North Wales; I realised that I haven't actually been further than about 20 miles from home since last July. Must get out more.


I tidied the hall. This means picking up all of Flossie's toys, for her to get them all out again half an hour later. Like having a toddler around, really. She is utterly besotted with her newest toy, the teddy that Scooter and Millie have outgrown.


I fetched logs, chopped sticks, swept the hearth, laid the fire. All that was missing was drawing water from the well and milking the goat. I often have a sneaking, mocking little feeling that I am still 'playing cottages' when I do this sort of thing.


I walked the dogs, with uninvited Millie in tow. Millie adores coming for walks with us. The noisy little terrier who guards the top of our road burst through the hedge and tried to chase her, but met her match - a small silent sitting cat, holding its ground while giving a fearless-and-fearsome look, is clearly too daunting. Little terrier backed down and trotted off, and Millie resumed her walk, which consists of loping runs and zig-zagging dashes, occasional wild leaps up trees, and acrobatic moves trying to trip the dogs up. Joy on four paws.


Back home, I tidied a heap of recipes torn from magazines, found one for Quick Walnut Bread, and, on impulse, made a loaf. First loaf I've made since I moved here. It looked ok, but should be renamed Quick Walnut Brick. It may have to go to the birds.


While it was setting like concrete baking, I made maple syrup and pecan scones, using a new recipe, my previous dry crumbly ones having failed to impress. As I weighed and measured, I began to be alarmed - surely, with that amount of butter and maple syrup, these should be termed Luxury Maple Syrup & Pecan Scones? Millionaire's Maple Syrup & Pecan Scones? The recipe was really for walnuts, not pecans, but I prefer the latter, as they combine so blissfully with maple syrup, so on I went, thinking that this might be the last time I blow the grocery budget on a humble scone. (Actually, I used up most of my precious, hoarded, gift-from-Canadian-friend and quite superb maple syrup.)

"Makes about 12 good-sized scones" the recipe stated. So I used my good-sized cutter, and got 17 from that mixture. 17! But I'm not surprised: the recipe came from the Hairy Bakers, and you know that they are... well, substantially built men. Who have a blithe disregard for the cost of maple syrup in this country.

But oh, the difference! Those scones were divine.


Reader, I ate three. With butter. Luxury Obese Millionaire's Maple Syrup & Pecan Scones.

The rest are in the freezer, for when you come to visit. Bring sensible shoes for walking with Millie.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I am not the only one to make brick bread. Your scones sound marvellous.

It's lovely to see Millie out and about, fancy her staring down a yappy dog, did she look fierce?

dinahmow said...

I'll bring maple syrup!

Val said...

The scones sound lovely..I remember my Mother's kind advice once...said in kind, conversational tone..."When you make concrete bread , could you make it in smaller amounts?"
My most successful recipe came from a kids TV show...does that say too much about my skills?

Anonymous said...

What a frabjous day, glad you shared it with us. Just looking at Millie is a tonic. OllieV

Noelle the dreamer said...

The scones looks lovely and if all that is required to come and visit (you) Flossie, is Maple Syrup, I'll cross the US (Vermont's is the best I have been told), pickup a few bottles and fly over...Ironically, it is Lion's Golden syrup ex-RAF flyboy craves...(rare unless you order online here and I admit to bend the budget just to see his smile)!
Blessings,

Arthur Ransome said...

Only three? You are made of stern stuff. And lucky birds, the walnut brick looks good.

mountainear said...

All sounds good...esp the scones. Lurve maple syrup and walnut/pecan combination..would die for pine nuts, toasted anyhow, anywhere...

John said...

Millie is such good company and a crack-up. She breaks up the routine.

According to my math, if you had planned 12 scones but came out with 17, 5 more than expected, you should have eaten 6: the 1 you meant to eat and the 5 extras. I bet that is what the Hairy Bakers do.

Anonymous said...

the scones look delish, it's a pity about the loaf. no mind, better luck next time. kind of like my lasagne really. Fran

MLou said...

I could practically smell the warm scones through the screen. Yum. I see the crazy canadian cat toy made the photo cut!

Bow Street Flowers said...

I've found that Maple extract enhances the maple flavor. When I make maple cookies, the syrup just isn't concentrated enough. What's your recipe for maple scones? I can smell them!!!!

judy in ky said...

I love eating things I have just baked while they are still warm!
I love seeing Flossie with her toys, too.

zephyr said...

maple syrup is heaven.
And Millie is aDORable!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this comment will arrive, as you have changed your comment form! (I still can't comment on the Blooger blogs that have word verification). That sounds like a very good Sunday to me. Shame about the loaf, but the scones sound absolutely delicious. Although I'm not particularly fond of nuts, I do like pecans ...... and as for maple syrup ........

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Must be the dreich views out of the window . Everyone's busy baking !
Even I made a fruit loaf . Luckily Husband shares Flossie's discerning palate .

Shelagh said...

Canadian friend would be happy to send more maple syrup any time. Especially knowing that it will go into scones!
xo

Ginnie said...

(sigh) those scones look/sound good. Not good for my effort to lose 15 lbs, though. I'll have to wait until next year to try them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails