Friday 16 November 2012

Paint love




For those of you still on the chalk paint journey with me, here are the results of the experiment I conducted. For those of you who are bored to tears with all things painty, look away now. Sorry. Cats, dogs and everyday life with The Gardener* will resume shortly.

Firstly, the clear wax continued to be problematic for me: difficult to apply without blotching, it wasn't the un-distressed effect I wanted. I watched videos of other people waxing their newly-painted furniture, I took advice, I even looked at the legendary Annie Sloan's own painted pieces, and decided that no, waxing and blotching seemed to be synonymous.

Another website had a contribution from someone who had used polyurethane varnish over her chalk paint, with some success. I was a bit anxious about this, as I didn't want a shiny-shiny look. And the word fusspot crept into my lexicon of self-doubt.

So off I went to consult Angus in the local paint shop: he always has advice to impart. Angus recommended a water-based, rather than a polyurethane varnish, and I came home with this: Blackfriars Dura Tough varnish.

Went on easily, with almost no odour, dried quickly, and the brush rinsed clean in water. Fabulous!

And the result? Perfect. The chalk paint drank it up thirstily, leaving a sheen rather than a shine. No blotches anywhere. I love it.



I'd show you it (I know... again...sigh...) but the light isn't right and my camera(s) still need sorting out, but my bedroom has been transformed into a calm, neutral space. (Or could be a calm, neutral space if I were to pick up my clothes and tidy the dresser.)

*The Gardener has had lots of work to catch up on this week, so the painting was all mine to do; he did, however, help enormously by heaving bedding and ton-weight mattress on and off the bed for each of the three stages, and heaping me with praise. That'll do nicely.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not bored with your paint fixation, I can see it happening to me when I finally get around to doing some. I'll probably wait until the clocks go forward though, I hate doing things like this in winter.

alice c said...

Be afraid, Flossie, be very afraid...

dinahmow said...

Not at all bored! Here is a like you (and non-bored readers) might like.
http://ateliermaisonconti.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/autumn-moments.html

I hear very good reports of Annie Sloan, even from people who've never painted more than a finger nail!

the veg artist said...

The problem with a wax finish could be down to the cold weather. I use a wax finish on my pieces, and have to do them outside because of the fumes. I have found that unless it's a hot day, the wax goes on too thickly, and I'm not so keen on the finish I get. I've got several pieces not complete this year because the 'summer' came to a sudden, wet end!

rusty duck said...

Bingo!

I've gone with F&B Parma Grey for the big bookcase, but I have a number of pieces of brown furniture earmarked for the Annie Sloan treatment and the Blackfriars sounds perfect.

Thanks for the tip! Jx

Marcheline said...

Nope, you're not a fusspot - you just know what effect you're looking for, and happily you had enough gumption not to settle for second best! It's so satisfying to hunt and peck until you find exactly the right thing. Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for todays information! I discovered there is a shop stocking this paint not very far away and I can't wait to try it too. The advice about the varnish is great. Thank you so much. Can't wait to get started and I just love all the pieces you have painted and what a brilliant transformation to your bedroom. Watched a repeat programme earlier on which went around Somerset too and included Dunster and Minehead. Enjoyed that too as quite a few of the places looked familiar after seeing them first on your blog.

Wonderful ,,,,,,,any more hints and tips don't be afraid to tell us about them because I for one, am very grateful for them. Going to get some paint to try out next week!

BumbleVee said...

I was going to mention water based polyurethane... it's what they used on our hardwood floors....I am still a bit skeptical ... how it will protect them versus what we had before I don't know yet. And...we opted for what is termed a 'Satin' finish rather than gloss...so, like you...it is not shiny, but does have a soft sheen... let's hope it is as good on floors as it is on furniture and fun stuff.

How nice to have an Angus right close by.... we have a little paint shop with a similar chap and he is a hoot... and ..he knows EVERYthing about anything painty ...

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I love your paint effects and am slightly envious of you for being able to achieve them. I live with someone who loves wood and although that mostly means that we have lovely wood (mainly oak, both old and new) it also means that if some newish pine finds its way in he can't bear to cover it up. Perhaps I should work on him a bit harder!

Anonymous said...

Your varnish stuff sounds a lot easier than messing about with shellac which I used to use.

Related Posts with Thumbnails