Tuesday 16 October 2012

On the beach


No, not that rather gripping Nevil Shute novel, but a bright sunny day amidst the many wet ones, and an outing to Doniford beach.




Not a lovely beach, really, with Triassic-Jurassic mudstone, rocks and some modern builders rubble. It can be squelchy underfoot, and people have been known to get stuck in the mud on this stretch of coast and have to be rescued.  There were a couple of alarming episodes where I felt my feet sinking unexpectedly. Surprising how quickly one becomes squeaky-voiced with panic as gloopy mud sucks one's shoes downwards! 

(Not helped by being teased by The Gardener, who reassured me (not at all) by telling me that he would stay devotedly beside me as I sank until I disappeared; as I was only 5'1', it might be quick.....)

I was glad to scramble back onto the smooth rocks.



But there was lots to see.






Textures.





One of the sillier-looking kind of labradoodle, jolly and undeterred, trying hard to befriend Flossie.







Fossils. Many small ammonites, mostly the size of 50p coins.



The steam train that runs between Minehead and Bishops Lydeard.

And then the river, where Flossie swam and cleaned up; my camera battery had run down by then, or I could have showed you the state of my shoes as we returned to the car.

The seaside in autumn and winter; just wonderful, so long as you don't sink.

14 comments:

Lucille said...

I've had that sinking feeling when the tide is out on 'our' beach. It's not nice. I must get some wellies. At least I'd stay a bit cleaner and there'd be a chance of a quick release.

Anonymous said...

I should feel very anxious on a beach like that, but the ammonites look lovely as do all the other textures.

helen tilston said...

This is a beautiful beach and one where one can get lost in their thoughts. The shapes and patterns are always a fascination. Flossie looks like she had a wonderful time and glad there was a river for her to clean off.

Fun

Thanks for sharing

Helenx

Danielle P. said...

"Devotedly", he said.

He's definitely a keeper!

June said...

Thank you for all the photos!
Maybe not pretty, but I think to me it would feel like a doorway to the past. All those fossils and the odd stone formations! I would not like sinking into the mud, and I think Gardener is much like Husband: very funny if you aren't the butt of the joke. ;-)

Looks as if Flossie and her would-be friend had a ball!

the veg artist said...

I went to the beach yesterday morning, at a very low tide, and was the only person there! Never happened to me before. Absolutely glorious! Not 'sinky' either!

Bow Street Flowers said...

I love the way you've introduced the Gardner to us over these last several months. It was very wise to start with those very utilitarian shoes: always a good sign!!

Let's keep him!

xoShelley

colleen said...

This time of year it's all about the light, don't you think? Even the mud has a job to do reflecting all that light back. Pity about the sinking feeling, mind...

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

All rather wonderful!
Leicester museum has a little collection of fossils and dinosaur bones that intrigued me last month , but your ammonites are much more real ... and , being wet , much prettier .

flwrjane said...

Fossil lover here. Also Flossie lover.

I have wellies. I could do it.

xo J.

Val said...

Lovely photos..I was quite taken with the boot prints ..thinking to myself Gosh don't those boot prints in the mud look like ammonites ..then I looked further...
hohum now I feel silly

btw A small tabby cat wishes to say hi ..at least that's my conclusion as she has woven around my arms as I type this and has polished my nose with her warm fur..and she's singing

jabblog said...

We're having that sinking feeling in the forest at present!
The beach in autumn/winter is wonderful.

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Oooh, you have some beautifully arty shots there ...the fossils are particularly cool. Nice job!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hello Rachel. A friend, who is not a blogger but who reads your blog, suggested I pop in to see you as she thought we had a lot in common - well, here I am and I love your blog. I still live in the North East, albeit the beautiful Yorkshire Dales, and am married to a farmer. Before in my other life, I was a teacher in the Midlands. Do pop in and see me sometime.

Related Posts with Thumbnails