Friday 26 October 2012

To market, to market


The Gardener and I are doomed to only spend days out together in awful weather, when work is a less appealing option. Today was rainy enough to qualify for a day out. It was very chilly too - cold enough to suggest imminent winter.


The Gardener and I went to the local Farmer's Market this morning, where we had arranged to take photos for Cheryl, who manages the market's website. Stall holders were asked not to pose, but to go about their business as though they weren't being observed. 



On the whole, they did well. 




I love the slate labels on the bread stall.




Some stallholders found it hard not to laugh or come over all shy....


"Oh no, not in this hat!" was heard more than once.






But on a cold wet day, they wanted to chat, to laugh, to encourage us (well me, the non-vegetarian) to sample the wonderful prize-winning pork sausages, the hot apple juice, and to complain about the vile weather. 


Some customers wanted to be photographed.



It's a very small market, and the weather delayed a number of regulars from shopping; business is usually brisk.


The fish van always does a roaring trade - sadly, there is no longer an established fishmonger in this seaside town.


I came away with photos, dahlias, sausages, three-seed sourdough bread, and frozen fingers - time to dig out the winter woollies, I think. The Gardener sloped off for a double espresso while I shopped, and then we went home with our bounty.


And still it rained. 

Later, we went off into a remote part of the countryside to see The Gardener's lovely daughter, and on the way home, stopped off in Wellington at the shop where I had bought the Annie Sloan paint. Yes, I wanted to buy some more - very smart Paris Grey for the dining room bookcase, and Old White to tone any other colour down a bit if desired. I'm a convert now!

For those of who who are interested: While there, I asked shop owner Jilly - a great ASCP enthusiast -  about the wax/blotchiness problem, and was given very clear instructions as to how to avoid this. For those of you who are interested, you need to use a very little wax, on a very little wad of soft clean cotton fabric, applying on a very little area, and working fast. Sand very lightly if you want a really smooth finish. Buff  it up the following day.

We shopped for pet food and violas, had coffee and apple pie. And then we came home again. In the rain.

14 comments:

Jen said...

Your pictures of the farmers market are wonderful! Wish I could visit it.

Val said...

Lovely story :0)

Gwen Buchanan said...

It looks about the same kind of chilliness that we have here.

judy in ky said...

That looks like about the nicest kind of day to be had in the rain! I hope the dog got a treat after waiting in the truck.

helen tilston said...

You did a fine job photographing the market and the vendors and clients.
I just love the image of your dog through the window of the van

Have a lovely weekend
Helen xx

Rose H (UK) said...

Despite the rain and cold I believe you had a fab day!
Looks like some lovely produce, I'd have been loaded down ;o)
Have a great weekend,
Rose H

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Rain or not , that bread stall would have me up bright and early every week !
It was dark and damp here , too , for the market ... so I loaded up with red and yellow peppers , carrots , pumpkins and oranges to cheer us up . We'll probably all turn orange by Sunday .

Bow Street Flowers said...

"and home again, home again, jiggidy jig". Now, where's MY pie?

Alicia said...

I would just about give anything for a bit of that brioche to go with my morning coffee right now! (Hey! That probably means you did a really good job with your photography!)

Alicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noelle the dreamer said...

Oh Thank you for sharing!! It's been two years we have been home...I needed a shot of home goodness!!!
By the by...who is the lovely pooch in the wagon? The Gardener's? Was Flossie home to guard the cottage?
Blessings Love! It's always a pleasure to find out more about your little corner of the world (and me thinks my life is VERY dull!)

Anonymous said...

I went to market this morning - a French Market from Normandy, visiting on the coldest day since the winter. It was all very cheery though and I bought Tartiflette for my breakfast and a Boule of bread. I forgot the Brioche and Flan...

Your stall holders look very cheery too.

Annie (Lady M) x said...

What lovely pictures, you have really captured the essence of a Farmer's market. Save me some of that bread won't you?

jabblog said...

I was intrigued by the fish stall -OOR FISHERIES - poor fisheries? indoor fisheries? wild boor fisheries?

Related Posts with Thumbnails