Tuesday 16 March 2010

Slow life? Small life.



Sometimes I post pictures of the cats because almost nothing has happened in my day. Some days, like today, I have spoken to no one, except for a brief and harassed phone call from friend Rose, confirming that she won't be here on Thursday because she'll be in Cyprus. And that set me off wanting - yearning, even - to go somewhere, anywhere, as long as it wasn't here.

Any of these would be nice:















Although I am endlessly amused and fascinated by my little team, I know that not everyone finds them so absorbing. Instead, I could be blogging about much more interesting and worthy things, demonstrating my acute grasp of today's political agenda, home and abroad, my skills in diverse areas such as translating the Tales of Beatrix Potter into Esperanto, advanced clog dancing, invisible mending, and turning that bottom drawer of the fridge into sustaining and attractive plates of food. But I doubt if I'd be believed, though I'm not sure why. I'm sure I could do those things if I put my mind to it.



Sometimes even I feel slightly uncomfortable about how little I do in a day. But sloth and indolence, they just take up so much time! So this morning I determined that I would do something to make a difference in every room in the house. I would never go up or downstairs empty-handed; I would tidy up after myself. Such a noble resolution! So easy to be distracted from it! So easy to leave your duster, like your glasses, somewhere else, and to find that all you actually carry up and downstairs is a cup of tea.

But today was fairly productive, even if the sitting room hasn't been dusted yet or the spare bed changed. I made these:


Rough oatcakes, wheat-free. First time I have tried this recipe, found online (sorry, whoever posted it - I forgot to copy the source when I saved it). Very nice too, although the look is more breeze block than Black Isle. I made some cherry and almond cupcakes for tomorrow's visitor. I walked the dog, I wrote some emails, and I cleaned the hob within an inch of its life. That's quite a lot, isn't it? For a retired sloth?


Meantime, there was a bloodless coup. Twice. The poor dog, who has two seats, found that she has been deposed from both, simultaneously.


She quivered, looking imploringly at me to tip the beanbag thief off. But the dog is quite old enough to do her own tipping.


Hamish drew in his chin and stayed put. The dog moved to her other seat, the Neighbourhood Watch one:


And quivered some more. Another usurper. It's a small life, and a homely one, but instead of furniture polish, it reeks of power struggles.

Tomorrow we shall find something useful to do.

16 comments:

Paddy Paws said...

NO, NO, NO! We go other places for politics (or to get away from it), Esperanto and so-called clever stuff. We visit you to smile at the four-legged friends and your perceptive relationship with them.

Sorry to be selfish, but please continue doing very little - it amuses us enormously.

Fran Hill said...

I agree with Paddy Paws - your 'very little' is very entertaining. I can't wait for the advanced clog dancing post and I hope there'll be a video.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Dear Heaven ! What do you think the rest of us do ?
I , for instance , refereed a few toddler skirmishes , cooked , ate result , ate a second helping of result , thought briefly about moving from the table , thought better of it and put my feet up .

Lucille said...

I thought the first 13 pictures were going to be a fiendish competition with Prizes. I was gearing up. I wanted to win. P.S Don't start rushing about. It's nice coming here.

rachel said...

Thank you, thank you! (bowing in all directions....) But I know that other people are fiendishly productive; look at all that knitting, preserving, travelling, reading, gardening, ice cream making, and all with one hand tied behind your backs and a toddler or similar delinquent Nearest and Dearest to manage as well.

Lucille - those are EASY holiday pictures! Maybe I should dig out the mystery creature picture and let you ponder over what it might be and why.....

Fran - you'll have a long wait for a video of me dancing.....

Linda said...

Oh, I know these days well.
Sometimes I look back on my day, and there seems to be little in between taking my PJs off and putting them back on.
I feed myself - always a proper meal at lunchtime - and Rupert, of course. I wash up. I try to do some house-related activity of a morning, just to be moving around (bungalow living can make one very unfit!!). I have a surprisingly regular routine of not a lot.

I've started decorating again now the builders have left, and the muscles are complaining, but I am really enjoying the peace. I love being on my own, and as hubby is away most weeks, the house is quiet and my world very small.

Just how I like it.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I enjoy coming here. By the end of this post, I'm thinking "this is my kind of person". Believe us all, it's a delight...and whatever scenes you either visit, wish to, or present on a domestic front it is always so perceptive and entertaining.I am still blown away by the way you wrote about your son going back to London recently. Showed my daughter last night, and she said "this reminds me so much of both you and my friends mums", as she gave me a big hug,which I'm passing on to you! I love my small world life by the way, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Friko said...

whatever do you mean, you've done nothing. Carrying a duster upstairs and downstairs is certainly not nothing. The trouble is, if I ever tried that I'd forget what I had it for and would have to retrace my steps in order to find out.

Von said...

Very little can be very much, it depends how you look at it.Poor dog!!

Linens and Royals said...

Poor dog, Hamish looks so smug.
Pleased you included some Australian scenes in your wish list of places to go but your 4 cats and 1 dog would miss you too much if you went so far away.

Rattling On said...

I agree with the other commenters. Except I think we should hold you to the advanced clog dancing course...it's the least you can do in light of the jellies.

Val said...

Please, please don't do anything different, I need my daily visit for a smile and a cheer up. The cats seem like members of my family and I would be devastated if you stopped writing about them. The other blogs with all the activities make me feel admiring but extremely restless and guilty. I reckon we've both earned our right to do exactly as we wish with our days.

cathleen said...

Oh, I enjoyed reading and viewing these photos so much this evening, Rachel. And that cat photo...precious!!!! And thank you for cheering me on recently. Your a sweet friend.

Anonymous said...

It's OK, I checked, and Beatrix Potter has already been translated into Esperanto. So I guess it's on with the invisible mending.

Jan

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Sounds a pretty full day to me. I like it here, don't change.

Marcheline said...

Well, speaking for myself, I adore your four-footed family, and enjoy your posts immensely. Which is why I keep coming back to annoy you.

8-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails