Wednesday 24 November 2010

Six month mark

Last June, I did this. And you all know the highs and lows of the tragi-comedy that occurred thereafter, and the earnestness with which I tried to maintain a terrifyingly clean and tidy house in case of a viewer turning into a buyer. All, all in vain. Viewers, voyeurs, same difference; lots of lovely feedback, no further offers. An exhausting six months.

Earlier this month, the house on which I had made an offer, the lovely house and garden in a Somerset village, and the beautiful beech tree by the little stream, was sold to someone else. I gritted my teeth, and felt mostly relieved, glad that I could let it go, and only have one house to worry about, although now and again, l think longingly of that beech tree.


My own house had its final viewing tonight. (A dispiriting experience, really. No, we have enough student houses round here, thank you, and I'm not cancelling my new bathroom in order to preserve a small fourth bedroom to make even more money for a landlord.)


The For Sale board came down of its own accord a while ago in the gales, and as of tonight I am no longer a Vendor, open for business on demand, ready to show strangers round the rarely-glimpsed recesses of my home and to answer dull but worthy/downright daft questions about wiring and insulation and is there a garden?

So that's that. No more viewings; the house is off the market until such time as I'm ready to try again.The bathroom work starts on Friday. The sainted Richie (of whom more in due course) says not to worry about the room still being full of boxes because I've been too unwell to clear it; he will help me, no probs. Splendid, reassuring chap.

I now have freedom to relax a bit till Spring. Unnatural tidiness begone! Tatty slippers on show and clumps of cat hair on the stair carpet no longer a source of shame, unco-ordinated towels in the bathroom no longer the mark of a clueless Vendor, but an ordinary person who is a bit thrifty with household linens. The cats, the dogs, their toys and their gnarly stumps of soggy chews can lie about anywhere till Spring; the windows can have festive nose marks. We don't care! It's our home, after all, not just 'a property'.

10 comments:

"Sunshine" said...

I haven't been around for a while, but am so pleased to read your latest post.
I sliced my thumb as I was preparing the Thanskgiving dinner, so typing is a little difficult, but wanted to stop by and say "HI"...

Kate on Clinton said...

Good for you! Winter is the time for nesting, not the enforced cleaning. I'm still so envious of your sainted Richie - a reliable, friendly and skilled craftsman/tradesman is worth his weight in gold.

flwrjane said...

And here i just thought you were the most OCD pet owner i had ever met.

Whew, i'm now feeling much better about my home, and you are welcome to drop in anytime!

xo jane

Anonymous said...

When we sold my Dad's house, we refused to sell it to a landlord (the house is within walking distance of a hospital, prime area for renting out to nurses/doctors) We were delighted when it was bought by a young couple who had been struggling to find somewhere ..... and my Dad's neighbours were delighted, as it is a small street where most of them have lived for years (he lived in the house for 82 years!)

the veg artist said...

At least you've reached a stage where you know. As someone who hates insecurity, I can understand how you now feel able to relax. Please send me the sainted Richie - we have an airlock in the central heating - in a pipe somewhere, not the radiators, and have a very cold bedroom. And we have snow!!!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Your new bathroom will be perfect this winter and you'll get to enjoy it in peace , mis-matched towels and all .
I'd like to join the queue of would-be Richie customers . My "treasure" is a load-of-laughs , gung-ho , never-say-die and about ten foot tall . It can be a bit like letting a hyperactive toddler loose with a screwdriver .
Wearing .

Pam said...

Glad you're better. Onward and upward, with the occasional collapse on a sofa.

judy in ky said...

It's good to have your home back as your own, to do in it as you wish. Enjoy it. You will know when the time is right to open it to proper inspections again.

melissa said...

i love the way you write! enjoy having your home back :)

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I adore the idea of the festive nose marks on the windows! Enjoy having it all back to yourself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails