Sunday 11 March 2012

Mortified

Sept. 2011

I do very little driving these days, and as a result it is definitely getting worse. Embarrassingly worse.

To Dunster Castle today, to talk to someone about becoming a volunteer. All in hand now; just need to fill in the online application, have my two character references approved, and choose what I want to do. Several options available: room steward, driver of 'buggy' - i.e. the VW people carrier that ferries folk up the steep hill from the car park - admin, gardening, and - if by some miracle I was able to play the piano, pianist.

Sept. 2011

Then after walking the dogs down by the beautiful Gallox Bridge, where Flossie had a swim, I loaded them into the car and drove away. A hundred yards down the long drive to the castle gates, I was aware of a man yelling at the top of his voice "Stop that car!" 

And realised it was my car he meant, and that my hatchback was wide open, with a wet and impeccably-behaved Flossie sitting inside, no doubt wondering why there was suddenly so much fresh air in the car. Shamefacedly, I got out, closed the rear door, avoiding eye contact with bystanders, and drove rather pinkly away.

If I do become a volunteer, perhaps I should stick to room stewarding or admin - safer than driving the 'buggy'.....

14 comments:

Jinksy said...

Can't have too much fresh air! LOL

flwrjane said...

Maybe some piano lessons?

Asap?

xo Jane

Gwen Buchanan said...

oh I know how you feel... and there are probably more of us out there than one would want to admit!! this happened to me too last summer, hatchback wide open.. luckily I was only driving from the studio to the house about a 1/2 km... I wondered why I was getting so much attention.

Noelle the dreamer said...

Oh Rachel, you have me laughing yet again!
Good girl Flossie!!
Rachel, please, please if you ever become a volunteer there, be sure to take the camera along! I can imagine a hundred scenarios of what might happen with you on the scene!
Sending lots of hugs to all,

dinahmow said...

I suppose it could have been worse...at least you didn't drive off with your hand bag or shopping on the roof.

Jane might have a point with the piano lessons. ;-)

Rattling On said...

I have a friend who's a policeman, he drove off leaving the breathalyser equipment at the side of the road. Of course someone legged it with it and he had to pay for a new one. Not cheap!
I'd fancy any of the jobs except gardening, too much of that already!

Anne said...

Oooops .....at least you didn't drive off and leave Flossie behind!

the veg artist said...

Flossie deserves top marks!!

(Picked someone up from hospital years ago. Basket of flowers on roof of car. Drove around very hilly town for at least a mile before patient said "What did we do with my flowers?" so am not in any position to comment!)

love those cupcakes said...

If that had happened to me, Boo would be in France by now.

Bow Street Flowers said...

Ha, I do this once a month! If I'm lucky, I catch it before I get honked at! Worst was when I left the flower market with my big checkbook on top of the car that was filled with a week's worth of receipts....all the lovely colored papers flying behind me and a crowd of florists waving and yelling at me to stop!

Lucille said...

So glad Tosca wasn't with you. Am picturing Flossie with four paws braced in the back of the car, with one of her large sticks wedged across the opening for good measure. If only I was a cartoonist. Your blog would be such wonderfully fertile ground. Word verification will not be putting me off, no sir.

Anonymous said...

No-one leapt out of the car and no-one died, so what is the problem? My ex husband used to drive off with his coffee cup on the roof of his E-type almost every morning.

annie hoff said...

Everybody drives around with their hatchbacks wide open...don't they?!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Well , as long as the man who yelled isn't on the selection commitee , you've probably got away with it !

Related Posts with Thumbnails