Sunday 31 July 2011

Bulletin 2; toxic waste, freedom and frogs

In haste: just wanted to put you out of your misery. The lamb tagine was found today, in the 3rd-from-last box in the furthest corner of the room in which, at my insistence, all the boxes had been left. I thought of keeping it and becoming a mass poisoner, but wisely binned it instead. I did take a photo of it, though, through its plastic box and several layers of cling film, because I thought you'd like to see what 7-day-old Very Toxic Spots look like. Be patient. I have hundreds of photos to post one day....

I texted Sandra to tell her about my find, and she - unforgiveably, I think, for not having told me this sooner, replied "the food boxes went on last, so were unloaded first". Maybe she credited me with more common sense than I actually possess.

In other news, as they say on the BBC, I have singlehandedly unpacked about 3000 boxes, and can now see some carpet in the sitting room. The Lovely Son returns on Thursday to help move stuff around, although I seem to have done that myself for days. I am beyond tired.

The cats roam free, in and out of the windows and the little diddy back door, and apart from Hamish, who mostly roams free behind the wardrobe until dinnertime, are evidently enthralled with their new life. Millie caught a small frog today, although it was rescued unharmed. I planted some of the things I had brought from Newcastle, and noted that the many snails that had hitchhiked down with us seemed to have dispersed - for now.

I will be online by the end of the week, and can immerse myself in blogs and emails again, but hope you won't go away; your comments have been so wonderful to read!

My face aches. I find myself smiling all the time, and have to get a grip lest I am branded by the locals as that loopy incomer who walks about with a deranged grin.....

More in due course.

PS It's warm here, away from the North Sea. Just sayin'......

PPS The Bacteria Gardens Potato Competition was held today; Sandra submitted my crop. Apparently I won. Life just gets better and better!

26 comments:

Pam said...

Splendid! (apart from the frog).

mountainear said...

Where to start? Congratulations on the potato competition perhaps.....and also for finding the lamb tagine.

Wishing you all the very, very best.

Arthur Ransome said...

Very glad to hear you are all so happy and that the toxic tagine has met its end. And to be crowned The Great Potato must be the icing on the cake - whoopee.

Lucille said...

Go away? Go away? You must be kidding!

the veg artist said...

3rd-from-last-box ??? You've got to the end of the unpacking? Are you mad? You must slow down. It is a requirement of country living. Go sit in your garden, with a nice cup of tea, and wait quietly for the nice men who will connect you up to the internet, so we can see everything.

A Heron's View said...

Just keep on smiling
for everyone who lives in that part of the country is a bit loopy, surely you have heard of the Exmoor Eccentrics ?

Noelle the dreamer said...

Rachael,

You provided us once again with merry entertainment!
So glad to hear everyone is doing well and truly looking forward to see photos of your newfound paradise!
Blessings,

Hazel said...

Delighted that you've managed to make the transition from 'agggghhhh - moving is the most traumatic and dreadful thing ever in the whole world, why am I doing this?' to grinning, 'Wow - this is just the best!' in such a short period of time.

Hope that your potato-in-a-sack win is a portent for mine at the Hill Show weigh-in in a couple of weeks!

kathek said...

You are living my dream (well, perhaps after you get settled) just so glad to know it is a possible reality! Lovely!!

Susan said...

Merci !! for Bulletin No.2 our next email was going to be titled - but when ??? We are thrilled, happy as can be and cannot wait 'til you & the Team are back online and posting more details avec some of those "hundreds" of photos. xoxoxo les Gang

So tickled about your perma-grin ;-) & potatoes !

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

So completely delighted that you are there and thriving with or without tagine. I can't tell you how much I love your determination to just do it. Well you might have an inkling asva result of the time of this comment! Hope all continues to be well. In a confused, exhausted, mist clearing kind of way.

judy in ky said...

So excited for you and the cats and dogs! It sounds like a wonderful place.

June said...

I love the image of the cats roaming free, and loving their new life. It's how cats were meant to live.
Glad you saved the little froggy.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Glad the lamb tagine was located, although I'm sure it would have made it's location known after a certain amount of time. Sounds like you and the cats and dogs are totally in love with the new house. I am so happy for you. I'm waiting anxiously for pictures.

flwrjane said...

Well I should think it would put your mind at rest...food fermenting about in a box getting ready to EXPLODE!

Delighted to hear you are all so happy in your new home.

Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you, if you're young at heart.....

xo jane

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling too, just from the sheer joy that radiates from your post! Well done on winning the potato competition. Glad you found the tagine before men in hazmat suits had to be sent in to decontaminate you!!!

gilliecoco said...

Can't wait to see pictures of your new home! You and the pets sound so happy and settled! Well done!

knutty knitter said...

Obviously the back of the wardrobe has some very great attractions :) One of my previous cats preferred a skirted armchair when she first arrived. I don't think our other cat even knew there was another cat for about a week!

viv in nz

ps glad your toxic waste turned up :)

Anonymous said...

I have just caught up with you in your Somerset home, your two posts from there are a wonderful antidote to the horribleness of "BBC news", and I can almost see the happiness radiating out from you all through the air down to here in Devon. You must be a lovely person to engender such friendship, keep smiling. (Hamish will just have to see a cat psychiatrist!) OllieV

Mary ,East Coventry USA said...

So happy for you! Hope you can get a little rest in between unpacking and rescuing frogs.
Take care and enjoy-
Mary
PS - If I could figure out how to register with blogger- as a non-blogger-I would do so. And please consider me a follower who hasn't figured out how to be one! I know, pathetic.
I'll have to have my own lovely son show me the next time he visits.
Again, enjoy your new life.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Of course you won . You're on a roll !
I'm now off on my Royal progress round the Shires* , daughter visiting . I will also be discovering Toxic Spots on my return , when I open fridge door after Husband has been in charge of provisioning himself for two weeks .
* Literally The Shires .... it's the name of the shopping mall in Middle Daughter's town .

The Wanderer said...

I remember a bloke that used to get on the 22 from Newcastle to Walkergate and he had a permament smile on his face all the time.

Cannot wait to see the photos and glad the move went smoothly for you. How are the dogs coping with the move?

jabblog said...

First place in the potato competition - I hope Sandra took the prize (there was a prize??) in compensation for your treatment of the lamb tagine;-)
Glad to hear the cats have settled - Hamish will emerge eventually to discover the greater joys of Somerset life.

Amy McPherson Sirk said...

congratulations on your new home. You sound like you love it already. I'm so happy for you.

Marcheline said...

So happy to hear you're happy! Looking forward to all the pictures and posts to come!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that the tagine has been dispatched, the potato competition was won and your face aches from smiling. Well done!

Related Posts with Thumbnails