Monday 11 July 2011

A moving account 1


You've suffered alongside me all this time, so you might as well stay for the rest of the stressful bits!  This is what we are doing. Chaos, disorder, brown cardboard, and helpers everywhere.


On Saturday Charlotte and the Handsome Young Policeman are coming with her dad and his van to take away all sorts of small items of furniture that I didn't want to keep but were of some sentimental value, i.e. not just to be left for the buyer. Charlotte and the HYP are setting up in their first home soon, and are delighted with our arrangement, as am I.


Human helpers Rose and Sandra, who unlike some folk, didn't have to hop into every empty box first, worked like little machines yesterday, wrapping all the mirrors and pictures.


The walls are almost bare now, and the bones of this house are showing. I am too busy to feel very much, and in fact I think I said goodbye to my home and all it meant last year, at the time of the first intended sale. But there's no doubt that I love it still, and that it represents a large and eventful period of my life. I refuse to think about the people I am leaving behind, or I would be in tears every five minutes, but there is a deep well of sadness about friendships and neighbourliness having to change that I must face again when I can.

The Lovely Son arrives some time next week to help finish things off, and to drive with me to Somerset. I don't need him any sooner, as I have my own scheme of packing (I'm trying to be tactful here!) so I'm trying to get most of the heavy-duty business completed this week so that we can have a quieter final week to follow. (Anyone offering to lend a hand finds that yes, they certainly can, and is given a job very promptly!)


I will then attempt to lull the cats into a false sense of security before the dreaded transfer (oh, Hamish, Scooter, how I agonise over you!) into containers and car for the long trek south.




And Txxxxx Cottage awaits. It's 400 years old, and is very patient. I'll tell you about it next time.

Now where did I leave the packing tape?

25 comments:

jabblog said...

Your cats look remarkably calm. How are the dogs coping? Ours get in a tizz when we tidy up - which probably says more about our slovenly habits than them!

the veg artist said...

The scenes of packing and helpers is just how I've been picturing you! Wish I was closer, to help a little!

June said...

You're moving to a house that has a NAME? Oh my.
Making great strides, you are, there. Good job!

flwrjane said...

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

Guess you don't need the kitten crates, they're happy to travel in boxes.

400 years old with a name? Heaven.

xo Jane

A Heron's View said...

What is it about cats cardboard boxes and bags that they always sit in them?
You look like a professional mover :)

judy in ky said...

Packing and moving for me has always been chaotic. Yours appears to be very organized and tidy. No doubt your feline helpers are responsible for that.

Vintage Jane said...

Good luck with your move ... Somerset's a great place to live!

Pam said...

Courage (that's in French, which is much more effective). It'll all be worth it. Not sure that the furries will necessarily agree immediately...

annie hoff said...

Your cardboard boxes,tape and chaos bring back so many memories. The cats look as if they're hanging on to last bits of normality they can find..!
I seem to remember trying to live in the immediate 'now' was the best way to cope with it all - not thinking too much about the past nor the future.

Anonymous said...

Familiar scenes! I have no doubt that everything will go smoothly, and look forward to finding out more about your new abode.

Anonymous said...

Goodness me, it all looks very calm and collected. I'm sure the cats would travel in boxes...

kathek said...

My first visit. I shall be back, eager to see more than the "peek". Thank you for the lovely walking tour, I really needed to see some lovely sites, especially of the equine sort this morning. Happy Nesting!

Jenny Woolf said...

How exciting! I am glad you are on your way at last, and the new place looks wonderful. I am sure it will offer you the chance to live the life YOU want.
Oh, and how glad I am that the cats are so obviously helping you pack :)

Arthur Ransome said...

Who was Tobias, I wonder? I had a German friend called Tobias (pronounced Tobeeas, of course) so I think it's a great name. And look at that dear little Hamish in his puppy cage - you'll know my fingers are totally crossed for him and Scooter - love, Arthur

Anonymous said...

If only you could have the services of the squad of Indonesian removal men, who packed the two boxes in the last photo!

Alicia said...

I'm so excited for you!! Don't worry too much over the boys.. I think you will find them surprisingly resilient and think how happy they will be when they are in their lovely new home. Tobias Cottage.. I like the sound of that!

Fran Hill said...

The old house sounds intriguing, and the name is great. Hope it all goes well.

Anonymous said...

Tobias Cottage, what a lovely name! You'll have to tell us the history of the place, it'll be really interesting.

After you've moved and settled in of course!

Oh and does the dithering seller know you've found something else now?

Lyn said...

I am sure the cats will just be happy to be where you are when you get there.
Good Luck.
xxx

Dartford Warbler said...

We once had the most wonderful long haired tabby called Tobias. Your cottage is well named as a home for cats! Looking forward to hearing more :-)

Good luck with the rest of the packing, although you do seem very organised. Great to have good friends who have helped you so much.

Noelle the dreamer said...

Tobias Cottage? Really???
Too funny! (and just if you wish of course to know why, please email!)
Corgi, Tabby and I, all up for adoption!
Pleeeaaaase!

judy in ky said...

Can't wait to see the photos of your 400-year old cottage.

Marcheline said...

The only thing more frustrating than seeing pictures of taped up boxes without being able to see what's inside is hearing about Handsome Young Police chaps and seeing NO PICTURES OF HIM in the post!

Hmmmph.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I hope that's Heavy Duty Packing Tape ?
I'm now mildly worried about the chance that Lottie might end up travelling to Somerset firmly packed in the bottom of a box of table linen , old bank statements and cake tins .

Lesley said...

I think they jump in boxes to make sure that you take them with you! My dogs certainly do - come holiday packing time they're always to be found nestling in an open suitcase full of clean clothes, usually just after a walk....

I'm so pleased that you're finally on your way to living the dream and Tobias Cottage sounds gorgeous. The pictures of your walk were superb. Deer-a-go-go...

Lesley xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails