Thursday 14 July 2011

Getting worse before it gets better


Every room in the house is in a mess of some sort. The boxes are piling up very satisfactorily, although it's still a shambles, mostly because a packed and sturdy box tends not to fit into the (spotlessly clean) cupboard that once held its contents. Sandra comes in every day and helps; she is completely undistractable, and we get immense amounts done, without stopping to read emails or pop out for biscuits. It's nice to spend so much time with her. Margery came for the last time today, before she goes on holiday; she has been my weekly cleaner for about 20 years, and we said a stiff-upper-lipped goodbye so that she wouldn't collapse entirely.


I am tired, tired, tired; my neck hurts, my back hurts, my nails are wrecked, and I am thoroughly sick of the sight of my own belongings, wondering why I'm bothering to take most of them.



The dogs trot round after me, interested, unsettled, trying to lure me away to play. The boy cats hide. Lottie and Millie, my constant companions and supervisors, work in shifts.




I was so dozy this morning that I accidentally medicated myself with Tosca's painkiller instead of my own blood-pressure diuretic; both are small white pills. Just as well it wasn't the other way round, I suppose. My cruciate ligament (left back leg) coped well, I found, with all the stairs I've climbed, up and down, all day....


The new sofa was delivered today - flatpack - with a footstool (and a new computer chair: why do you always come out with more than you went into Ikea for?). I'm going for washable removable covers this time round, although when it came down to fabric choice, I chose the dry-cleanable covers, which I shall risk with a cool wash when the time comes that the cat sick and dog drool stains reach unbearable density.

When the current sitting room furniture is redistributed amongst friends next week, I shall assemble it here, as Ikea is closer to me in Newcastle than where I'm moving to, and I don't relish the idea of a 4-hour round trip to Bristol just to collect a missing bolt.


This is hard, getting ready to move in such a short timescale, after so many dreary and anxious months of waiting. But I'm not complaining.



The surveys of the cottage come back positive; nothing unexpected, given its age, and no remedial work required, although the vendor's insurers will poke a camera down the drains just to make sure.The vendor (such a nice woman! and unlike the last ones, genuine in her desire to make my move easy, smooth and speedy) writes to me, and I to her; if she were a neighbour, and not a previous owner who lives elsewhere, we would be good friends, I think.

She tells me why the cottage bears its name - after her old cat; how delightful is that?  - that there are frogs and toads in the garden, that anything grows there, that the house was a squalid stinking wreck when she fell in love with it 14 years ago and saw past the dog faeces throughout to the lovely tranquil home that she and her partner would create. He died last year just before they could retire to it, and she is glad that someone who loves it (and cats) will be living there soon.

She says that in autumn, when the neighbour's trees drop their leaves, I will be able to see the sea from my bedroom.

One week and three days to go.....

27 comments:

the veg artist said...

You are doing really well there! You look very organised, and providing you have kettle, bedding, a few clothes and pet essentials to hand at the other end, you can take your time with all the rest. I would love, love, love to be able to see the sea from my house. It will all be worth it!!!!!

Lyn said...

Moving is so stressful but I am glad you have a little history from your new home it is nice to know these stories to pass on.
xxx

John said...

Looking good, all those boxes, empty cupboards, and bare walls. Probably looking sad also, for you, after so many years there. I hope Margery and friends can someday visit you in your new home. I'm not so good at stiff-upper-lip, I'd go to pieces saying goodbye.

Again I note in photo 3 Flossy's tail ablur: too speedy for ordinary cameras!

jabblog said...

The stiff upper lip comes in handy - though it doesn't help the aching joints. Keep on keeping on - what else can you do? And (never start a sentence with And!!) your vendor sounds wonderful and would be, could be a valued friend. Good luck:-) :-)

rachel said...

Ah, but once you've done a Plain English course, jabblog, you are freed up to start sentences with 'And' and 'But' if you so wish! Not so good in literature, of course, but fine for telling people facts or instructing them in what to do.... blogging is casual enough, I think, to cope. And anyway, I stopped caring a good long while ago.....

bowstreetflowers said...

where are the tea crates? I thought everyone in the UK moved their stuff in tea crates!

erleichda said...

what a lovely story... lucky you! to be able to see the sea...

Pam said...

You're doing well! And in a couple of weeks - you'll be there. (Doing it all in reverse, but much more fun.)

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased that you are nearly there with your Big Move. It sounds as if this house has been waiting for you. I wouldn't be surprised if it felt like home the moment you walked over the threshold. Julie PS. Been trying to comment and send you good wishes for days but have been getting strange message about OpenID, whatever that is.....

flwrjane said...

I think that "accidental" painkiller was a good idea. Your body sounds like it could use a hot bath and a muscle relaxer at bedtime.

This is v. exciting for all of us. Too bad we can't be there to lend a hand and take a pic or two then tie up your computer putting up a new post. Never mind. You're better off without us.

xo Jane

Anonymous said...

You have got so much done!! I see Flossie was telling you to leave the cleaning and go for a walk instead (a very sensible dog!). When you mentioned seeing the sea, I immediately thought of that wonderfful scene in Fawlty Towers, when the guest complains that the room doesn't have a view of the sea .........

Anonymous said...

It looks very organised, I'm sure I would be in a panic by now. It's good to know the history of your new home.

A Heron's View said...

Isn't it marvellous as to what can be achieved in such a short space of time,
once you find the right property that has a vendor who appreciates the concerns of you the buyer :)

love those cupcakes said...

No, that's not messy. That's orderly piles of neatly sealed boxes, patiently waiting to set off on their travels. Now we do proper messy.

Lesley said...

How sweet to name a cottage after your cat! Shelagh House? Minty Lodge? Maybe not. Tobias has more of a ring to it!

So exciting and you are well on track if you have done so much with 10 days left to go.

Stay sane.

Lesley x

Anonymous said...

Really pleased for you, and very envious of how organised you are. The new house looks wonderful and I'm sure you'll be very happy there. You'll be in my thoughts as the move preparations progress. Good luck with it all.

Jan x

judy in ky said...

How nice that your new home has a cat-loving history. I guess if I owned a cottage, I would name it "Munchkin" after my little black one!

Susan said...

oh my goodness can you hear the cheering from Black Street. We are thrilled, proud (of all your amazing hard work) and so very excited about the cottage, about it's history, about the sea, about the south.

Hooray !!!!!!! xoxoxoxox les Gang

Anonymous said...

You've done so well with this!

judy in ky said...

I like the way Flossie and Tosca are looking at you in the photo. They look so natural together... like buddies.
I would love to have a view of the sea... how nice for you

Anonymous said...

Best wishes on your move including pets and plants.
You seem to have it very organized.
It will be such an exciting change, hope the gardens at new home thrive under your care.
Kitty USA

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

How exciting! You seem to be very organized with your packing. Your cottage sounds wonderful!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

You're looking so organised ! .... and pain-free .
I must remember this , if I ever move .

Kitty said...

Wow, things have moved on since I last popped in. Now, this sounds a bit odd, but I'm sad that you're moving because you must live somewhere quite near where I used to, and you're a fellow -up-northener. But you'll still be here and I'm dying to see pics of your new cottage, sounds lovely. And I like the cat name story.

Marcheline said...

Yay! Keep on trucking. Looking forward to those "I'm all moved in" posts!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

You are doing so fabulously well. I am super impressed. I spent the day trying to pack up only a kitchennot a house, before we redo it and have failed and quailed before all the weird shaped things which won't even go into boxes. I must have the wrong shaped boxes! Everything about your house sounds fab and I can't wait to see photos of it.

Planet Penny said...

I'm so glad it's happening at last, stressful, but it will be so lovely when it's all over. I was born where you could see Wales across the Channel, you pictures make me homesick even tho' it's many years since I actually lived there. Lots of luck, I hope the move goes smoothly, can't wait for the pictures! Penny x

Related Posts with Thumbnails