Monday 18 July 2011

A moving account 2


One week to go.

Friends have come in and pulled their weight - we passed a wet Saturday afternoon dealing with the horror of the boiler/tools cupboard, with Annie and Lynn being both methodical and ruthless.

Sandra comes in daily, and even after she has gone home to collapse, pops in again with delicate proposals "It's stopped raining (torrentially, she means) for a few minutes; shall we tackle the shed?" and who am I to say no to such an offer?

The big things have been done - oh no, wait, there's still Lesley's mum's garage, in which a vast heap of big things lurk, already packed, thank goodness. Boxes and boxes of stained glass and equipment - definitely coming with me. The old kitchen table - being left for the buyer. Bookshelves. Laundry baskets. I can't remember what else, but I know it's there; I must go and look soon, soon....


But today, Fran and I are meeting at Plessey Woods for a picnic lunch and a walk; she was Flossie's boarding school Head (remember the lessons that Flossie so enjoyed?) and they will be delighted to see each other, if not so happy to say goodbye.

While I'm up there in Northumberland, I shall call in at my solicitor's office and sign some more papers - all this last-minute reliance on the post leaves me a nervous wreck.

Tonight friends are coming over for our once-a-month get together, and I must clear a space for us all to sit; they'll find things to pack, I know they will, and will be cheerful, but it will be our last time together in my house, and I know we will all be awash with emotion.

I am NEVER moving house again.

11 comments:

Dartford Warbler said...

This must be such a bitter-sweet time for you. You obviously have true friends where you are. They are being such an amazing help as you pack and prepare for the move.

Have a wonderful get-together amongst the packing cases, and I hope it doesn`t rain on your picnic. We have grey skies and showers again today.....

Anonymous said...

I wish I could help, I just want it all over and done with for you. Sad to leave friends behind but they will always be your friends and will visit in your new home. Stay cheery!

jabblog said...

When all the big things have been done it's the myriad little things that catch one unawares. What fantastic friends you have:-)

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I've said that , too , with every move !

the veg artist said...

You are doing so many things in one go - downsizing, moving, leaving memories, good and bad, leaving friends - it is bound to be very emotional. But (to start with but!), so much awaits you, and we can't wait to hear more about it! We are all rooting for you, as we have been over the last however long it has been!

judy in ky said...

This post reminded me of the day we said goodbye to our dear next-door neighbors in Pennsylvania. There was lots of emotion that day, and lots of picture-taking. We have been back to visit a couple of times, and it seems strange to look over at the house that was our home for so long. The new owners have made changes so it no longer looks like ours. It's always a bittersweet experience.
I am so excited to see your new home... the one you have hoped for so long.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I am also feeling that I am never redoing the kitchen again! Think your move will repay your effort in spades. But yes, once there, sit tight!

Rattling On said...

I say that every time...

Mary Ann Tate said...

One good thing about moving is that when you get there and unpack you can put your things exactly where you want them.

Anonymous said...

Remember to have a box of tissues handy tonight for whe your friends leave (and we may just need some tomorrow)

mountainear said...

Are you having Removal Men? Do hope so. Kettle, mugs and tea bags are last items on and first items off The Van. From One Who Knows.

Related Posts with Thumbnails