Sunday 24 July 2011

Captured alive - no injuries


No injuries so far, at any rate.

Those of you who have found my constant anxiety about Hamish contagious may be relieved to know that he is shut up in the shower room as I type.

This doesn't mean that he is safely in a travel crate - that will be tomorrow's hurdle - or that he is happy, oh no. There have been howls.

But as he was on my bed - the closest he gets to me as a rule - and purring next to his beloved Lottie at 5 a.m., I took advantage, slipped out from under the duvet, and quickly shut my bedroom door. An alarmed Hamish tried the door and then the firmly-closed dormer window, at which point I picked a sleepy Tosca out of her own bed (yes, I do have to sleep with cats and one dog in my room) and exited sharply.

After waiting long enough for it to be safe to wake the Lovely Son (who I think has earned the right to sleep till 6 a.m.) we made a barricade on the landing, the LS holding a huge cardboard box in place to prevent a stout ginger bullet from careering down the stairs, and I opened the bedroom door. Out sauntered Lottie, chirruping, followed at speed by the stout ginger bullet who found himself unable to flee anywhere but into the shower room.

So what? you may ask? What's so special about getting a cat from one room into another? Simple!

As indeed it proved, in the end. But a huge load of months-old anxiety has shifted.


Stage 2 involves getting Scooter, stouter and slower, and apt to crouch down and howl in defeat if cornered, into the same room, where beds, litter tray and that very special food that comes in tiny tins and costs almost as much as caviar await. The boys can spend their last Sunday in this house as prisoners of a kindly tyrant.

Step 3 involves getting them both into the travel crate tomorrow morning. My computer will have been packed up by then, so you will have to wait to know how we got on, but I anticipate prison riots, attempted breakouts, intimidation of guards, and very loud shouting.

And now, more of this:

 (Scooter is lurking under the desk)


This is my life. I'm not complaining.

See you in Somerset.

24 comments:

Hazel said...

Hoping everything goes to plan. *hugs* from Oz...and cyber muscles and organising power!

the veg artist said...

I will be thinking of you and your poor, beleaguered (!) animals, en route to your new home. They, and you, are going to love it there. Looking forward to hearing from Somerset!!!

Anonymous said...

Whew, another big hurdle over; I have lurked anxiously throughout your home-moving saga and just wanted to add my good wishes to all for your actual move. It will surely be worth the day or two of "pain". Cyber hug. OllieV

Gretel said...

Good luck! You do know that a lot of people are going to be mentally moving with you and waiting to hear your first report from Somerset...

Maggie Christie said...

See you in Somerset indeed. Good luck with the move, I'm heading that way too but only for a visit. I'll give you a good-luck-with-the-unpacking wave as I drive past on my way into North Devon.

Arthur Ransome said...

Brilliantly done! I'm so pleased for you and envious that you have help in the cat manoeuvre department. Whenever any of mine deign to go into the puppy crate I look at the slightly open door and think "Now might I do it pat" but sadly Pat isn't here to help and it's too soon to move anyone to the new house. All the very best for tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and longing to read the first post from Somerset . . . wonderful that it's so near. Love, Arthur.

Rose H (UK) said...

Hope stage two goes as smoothly tomorrow.
A big day for you all, wishing you a safe journey and happiness, contentment and peace in your new home :o)
Best wishes
Rose H
x

lovethosecupcakes said...

Good luck with the move and see you the other side.

Hazel said...

See you on the other side, Rachel!

flwrjane said...

God speed Rachel.

I can't believe this is actually happening.

See you on the flip side.

xo jane

Anonymous said...

Have a safe journey and I hope your creatures forgive you quickly. Waving at you as you pass by...

Mary ,East Coventry USA said...

You are the master of moving- great job with Hamish! It is a very tricksy thing to get cats where they have to be. I've had many a wild romp up and down stairs,moving chairs,sofas,tables to capture kitties. Their strength is of thousands!
All good wishes for tomorrow- so happy for you to be living your dream.
Take good care,
Mary

Amy McPherson Sirk said...

Oh, you'll be fine. We moved from California to Missouri with 7 cats and a turtle in the back of my Chevy Tahoe. It took three days, with all critters shuttled into a motel bathroom each night. Then eight to ten hours of driving with kitties howling the whole time. Hamish will be traumatized and I'm sure he won't speak to you for weeks. But he will get over it. Traveling with his buddy, Scooter, will make it a little less horrible for him. Best of luck and congratulations on your new home. We're so excited for you.

Marcheline said...

As so often happens with this blog, I have turned my head momentarily (it seems) and when I look back, there are six new posts! I rush backwards in time to catch up with your moving adventures (double entendre intendred)and my cup of coffee goes cold while I agonize over the fact that I was unable to "help" you by taking all the large antique furniture home with me! To my tiny cottage where it wouldn't fit either, but that's never stopped me yet. 8-)

I've moved a few times, so I can completely empathize with your anxiety, but I can also affirm that yes - it will all be worth it. Your cottage is LOVELY.

Onward! Forward! Success! Good Fortune! Good Wine! More Good Wine! (and etc.)

Pam said...

Fingers firmly crossed for you tomorrow...

jabblog said...

I have been wondering how the entrapment of Hamish was going. Have you got earplugs for the journey?

Good luck! It's really happening . . .

Anonymous said...

Safe journey to your new home!

Anonymous said...

Bon voyage Rachel , kitties and dogs !
Fanny

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Hamish and Scooter can't knot sheets , can they ?
Seriously , you've worked wonders and by this time tomorrow night you'll be searching for the all important packing case marked Electric Kettle and Frying Pan .

mountainear said...

All the very, very best to you all. X

BumbleVee said...

good luck to you and I hope the transfer of prisoners goes well..... as well as can be expected at any rate.... see you on the other side....

John said...

Well done. Poor guys, no match for your chess-like strategizing. Once they are in their carriers tomorrow, lots of noise, but by then there move is certain, more relief for you.

Vintage Jane said...

Good luck on your move today. I sympathise with your 'cat moving'. I spent many hours worrying about when to finally shut (my now departed) boys in to the house, how to transport them, how to keep them in at the new house but it all worked out just fine! M x

Noelle the dreamer said...

Just like SmitonisAndSonata I wonder if Hamish and Scooter can't knot sheets...
Just kidding of course!
All the best to you and all your furry friends!
MacIntosh, Maira and I will be thinking of you all the way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails