Saturday 23 July 2011

Ruthless - and cruel too!


Some things simply won't fit into my new house. Some could be parted with easily, especially if they were going to loving homes (oddly, no one wanted Hamish*....) and some simply got left out in the back lane, to vanish very quickly. I have been fairly ruthless about some things, although the Lovely Son still thinks I'm taking far too much.

The old tallboy - or Scotch press (above) - was a source of some anguish, but really was too big and too much at odds with the style of the cottage to fit in comfortably, and a friend of a friend was thrilled to receive it for her Victorian house.

But this meant getting it down from the attic.....

Four strong men spent a very long time bringing it downstairs, my warning to NOT chip any paintwork on the staircase ringing in their ears.

We three women did other things meantime (I got rid of passed on a new carpet at the same time, showed them the brochure of the cottage, chatted about how many people we knew in common, you know how you do) and wondered what on earth was taking the aforesaid four strong men so long.

When they finally got down to the hall, puffing and sweating, well, I don't know what cruel impulse possessed me, but I found myself casually remarking that it had originally been carted up to the attic many years ago by Tricia, her weedy boyfriend, and me.

But it was true; it had.

Then, with miles of rope and more puffing and sweating, they heaved the tallboy onto the roof rack, and went off with it, where it will be carted into its new home - at the top of the house.

Now I must stop blogging and get on with the chaos that is packing of all the miscellaneous items.


* only kidding, Hamish, honest

10 comments:

the veg artist said...

Glad to see a more light-hearted tone creeping in here! I won't comment on how it always takes men far longer to do what women just get on with (oh dear, I just did!).
And feel free to pop Hamish into a Jiffy bag and post him to me if he plays up too much!

judy in ky said...

Ah, many years ago we were all much stronger than we are now! I am trying to imagine leaving behind some beautiful things, which I will have to do the next time we move.

judy in ky said...

p.s. If only I were closer to you, I would take Hamish and add him to my crew.

June said...

Oh my. I imagine that was a bear to get down the stairway. Actually, I don't need to imagine. My sister has two pieces of furniture that my dad bought (he loved to collect antiques) that, blended together, would look very much like that. One is a mahogany veneer sideboard, and one is a pine desk and bookcase with those turned legs on the front.
Solid, solid wood. And freakin' murderously weighty!

Anonymous said...

At this point, you've more than earned the right to be cruel! (Your description of the huffing and puffing strong men was a painful reminder of "The Fridge Saga" that took place when I recently moved; hopefully I'll be able to laugh about it in a few years...)

Arthur Ransome said...

Your posts keep having spooky resonances for me. Probably not surprising as I'm still in the middle of my months' long move. Just before I read this one I was busy putting most of my play scripts and drama books into a box to be given away - no room for them in the new house and a part of my life that is, most probably, over.

jabblog said...

Sad to part with that but obviously very wise. Just think what treasures you might find in Somerset more in keeping with your new home!

Rose H (UK) said...

I'm just smiling thinking that the roof on the aforesaid vehicle is probably sagging in the middle with all that weight!

knutty knitter said...

Lovely piece:) We tend to shift pieces like this around the family depending on who needs it most - or can house it, at present. I have a couple of things I won't part with but the rest is subject to change. Only thing I ever regretted was a large book case - I could really use that about now! Argh! Its snowing outside for the first time this year and there is this hole where a window got removed (rotten to the core) and hasn't been replaced yet!

viv in nz

viv in nz

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't you be packing? Don't want to leave anything behind that you need...

Snow in NZ! Please don't remind me of last winter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails